Solidification & Stabilization
Improving Performance of Cement-Based Systems
As the primary method of remediations, Solidification & Stabilization, have more complex requirements; we have the solutions. Our product manufacturer provides us with the necessary solutions to meet these complex demands. With solutions that meet a wide variety of heavy metals and organics in a large pH range, we have the products to meet your challenge.
The process that encapsulates or reacts in order to immobilize contaminates and reduces leaching of contaminated products is referred to as Solidification & Stabilization.
Problems that exist with traditional methods include:
- Reduced performance in high and low pH leachates
- Heavy metals can escape the solidification/stabilization process
- Longer process times decrease productivity
- Cost of materials
Solutions Advanced Environmental Control offers:
- Individual product formulations optimized for wide pH ranges allow for increased compliance
- Products’ with a strong ion exchange capability allow for the capture of many heavy metals
- High adsorption capacities and fast adsorption rates result in higher productivity due to time and inventory savings
In situ stabilization/solidification: enhancing cement-based systems
In situ solidification/stabilization (ISS) treatment is a more cost effective and more protective of human and environment health than the dig out and haul away traditional method.
ISS treatment minimizes excavation and the associated release of volatiles while also eliminating the additional costs associated with landfill disposal. Advanced Environmental Control provides in-situ treatment additives for cement based S/S projects.
Ex situ solidification of sludge, soil, or sediment: meeting disposal criteria
Advanced Environmental Control also assist with ex situ solidification of sludge, soil or sediment for our customers. Contaminated waste must meet disposal criteria to show that liquid phase materials are solidified properly to ensure the safe disposal of the contaminated item.
Advanced Environmental Control provides ex situ treatment options that can be used alone or as an additive to cement based mixes. These materials are mixed into waste or contaminated media to render it safe for landfill disposal.
Low-level rad waste solidification: meeting disposal criteria
Super absorbent media are used to solidify aqueous low-level radioactive waste (LLRW) and mixed waste (MW) generated by DOE, DOD and other commercial facilities. These products have a strong affinity for water. They are capable of absorption ratios of up to 300:1 by weight with minimum swelling. Through absorption mechanisms, water is bound and converted into a high strength gel, which will retain its disposition throughout transportation and final disposal.
The use of our product manufacturers super absorbent media over traditional absorbing agents allows generators of LLRW and MW to significantly reduce their cost for disposal by minimizing the total volume.
Our products generate solids to pass the following tests:
- Paint Filter Liquids Test (EPA 9095)
- Slump Test – CSA Test Method A23.25C
- Liquid Release Test (LRT) Procedure (EPA 9096)
- Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (EPA 1311)
- Leachable BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene and xylenes)
- Solids meet Class II (non-hazardous) Landfill Criteria