From Capping to ISS
With a big push for sediment remediation of contaminated locations, traditional methods such as the dredging and sand capping provide uncertain results due to changing operations, economic and environmental factors. Advanced Environmental Control provides more efficient and effective capping solutions as well as In Situ options.
Better Materials, Better Products, Better Service
Sediment capping involves the sub-aqueous placement of a barrier layer of material over the contaminated region. This offers many advantages that can be tailored to each application requirements, to include full and partial capping. When sediment capping is chosen it reduces the potential of contaminant exposure due to it preventing re-suspension and transport other “clean” areas.
Existing problems with traditional methods:
- Consistency of protection
- Accuracy of mass removal techniques
- Effect of mass removal upon downstream areas
- Composition of treatable contaminants
- Space considerations of traditional sand caps
- Complexity of sub-aqueous installation
- Cost of dredging
- Cost of disposal of dredged materials
Advanced Environmental Control provides:
- Reactive capping media available in either bulk or as a reactive mat allowing for wider variety of applications.
- Combinations of reactive core materials allow for a wide range of treatable contaminants.
- Adsorptive capacity reduces required cap thickness, thus increasing navigable depth when compared to traditional methods.
- Composite layer stabilizes sediments, minimizing re-suspension and reducing downstream impact.
- Consistent sheet size allows for highly accurate placement and maximum coverage.
- Product properties ensure verifiable coverage of sediments due to fully contained, defined mass per area of reactive material.
- Reduces multi-step dredging process into fast, easily adjustable, consistent installation.
- Reductions in volume of fill material needed combined with speed of installation offer significant economic benefit.
Customized in situ solutions
In situ stabilization allows for treatment of the contaminated sediments in place, reducing contaminant leaching into nearby water sources. Treating contaminated sediments on-site alleviates off-site transportation and disposal concerns and conserves landfill capacity, replacement fill, and fuel used in transportation.
The bottom line
The advantages of Advanced Environmental Control remediation solutions include:
- Better consistency of protection
- No inaccuracy of mass removal techniques
- Eliminates effects of mass removal upon downstream areas
- Requires less space than traditional sand caps
- Lower cost alternative to dredging and disposal
Technical expertise and design assistance
Many factors go into the decision for a remedial design of contaminated sediments. Advanced Environmental Control along with our manufacturer can assist engineers with design evaluations and provide technical assistance with modeling cap life or potential stabilization or solidification mix designs. Regardless of the remedy, our technical team is able to assist.